Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Day 17: Christmas Movies

Like I mentioned yesterday, favorites are hard for me! But I've narrowed it down to my three favorite Christmas movies..I love Christmas movies!

1. The Santa Clause
2. Home Alone
3. Christmas with the Kranks

These movies all make me feel warm and fuzzy to watch, mostly because they were movies I grew up watching. My mom has told me that she and my Aunt Penny saw The Santa Clause with me and my brothers in theaters. I don't remember this viewing, but it must have stuck with me because I still love it. Another family favorite has always been Home Alone. My brother was about the same age as Macaulay Culkin (the main character) when the movie came out and we have photos of my brother getting the movie poster and imitating the expression on the poster. The resemblence is uncanny. So Home Alone is a family favorite, and that is probably one reason I like it so much. Plus, it's so quotable!

Christmas with the Kranks came out on 2004 (as I noticed on Netflix the other day). I can't believe it's been 11 years since this movie came out. I remember going to see it the day after Thanksgiving with my grandma, my Mom and my brother. I remember everyone laughing so hard in that movie. I always think back on that fondly when I think of or watch that movie, especially since my grandmother is no longer with us. Her birthday was on Christmas so she is always thought of more this time of year. I still love watching Christmas with the Kranks with Mom because we both get such a kick out of it.

As with any movie, I really love comedy and I also just love seeing people celebrate Christmas. First of all there's the Christmas music and the scenery in the movies that makes me happy to watch. Secondly, I also love the expected un-expected of one character showing another love and helping them out. Thirdly, as with Christmas with the Kranks and The Santa Clause, there's usually some Christmas magic in the movie that sets Christmas movies apart from other genres. Lastly, all these films are about family and the holidays. The struggle is real sometimes because everyone thinks holidays have to be so perfect, when really everything isn't going to be perfect, and that's what should make us laugh.
                                   Until next time,
                                 -The Farmer's Daughter

No comments: