Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Doughnut Trail

I saw a post from Martha S.'s husband about a doughnut trail in Lexington, I watched the youtube video that had been in his post: LexTreks: Doughnut Trail. Even though this 'doughnut trail' seemed like a sort ridiculously unhealthy adventure, my love of doughnuts won and my beau and I took a trip on the trail on Saturday. We started a little later than we had hoped, but we ended up exploring all the shops we had wanted to and trying a little bit at each one. We did not go to all the shops the video mentioned, but I hope to still go to the one we missed sometime in the near future. I'll break it down to where we did go with pictures and recommendations for you:

Coffee Times Coffee House: This was our first stop because it was the closet location to us on Nicholasville Rd. This was not part of the doughnut trail but this coffee house was celebrating it's 31st anniversary with 31 cent coffee, 31% off purchases, and vendors in the parking lot selling interesting things. I got their Flavor of the Day: "Sunshine" in coffee form and it was yummy! Jason got a blended iced espresso beverage which was really smooth and not too sweet like some frappes can be. We browsed the vendors in the parking lot and some handmade earrings and necklaces caught my eye. I ended up buying some earrings which I thought were too cute to pass up. The creator also said she would make custom earrings if there was something you would like earrings of, so I thought I'd give her some publicity in my blog post.
I LOVE Smores

Donut Days Bakery: Next closest stop from the coffee shop. This shop was the first and my eyes were bigger than my stomach at this point. I got a twisted chocolate donut which was pretty good. Jason got a regular chocolate doughnut. We both enjoyed them, but enjoyed other shops more.
Some of what Donut Days had to offer

Magee's Bakery: Even though this was only the second stop I wasn't ready to eat another, but we agreed we would visit two more shops when we left Donut Days, and Magee's turned out to be next. By the time we got to Magee's it was between 11 and 11:30. This bakery sold many breakfast items but I think they had a fairly large lunch menu as well because the place was very busy. The inside of Magee's was much more interesting than the first shop we had gone to and it was much bigger. When we got to the register we ordered just one glazed doughnut to split. The cashier told Jason to put his wallet away and he proceeded to give us a bag of two glazed doughnuts and two chocolate chip cookies. Maybe it's because free food usually tastes better, but we both thought this doughnut was really good! We'll be going back here.
Yum!!

Spaulding's Bakery: I've always heard good things about Spaulding's donuts and I've eaten them in the past (and enjoyed them)..so I wanted to make this stop on the trail, for sure. I think the bakery closed at noon so we got there just before they were closing and their selection was slim. They had sticky buns, cookies and glazed doughnuts among a couple of other choices left. We got two glazed and a sticky bun. We gave the glazed away to Jason's grandparents and saved the sticky bun for Sunday. The sticky bun was good but I want to try some of Spaulding's other doughnuts! So, we'll be revisiting Spaulding's too!
Danishes at Spaulding's

Overall, an interesting and unhealthy experience, but one that left me craving more doughnuts!
The Farmer's Daughter

4 comments:

Megan F. said...

Wish we could have came! Looks like you all had a gastronomic experience!

Unknown said...

Yeah! It was neat. We owe it to Lucas who posted that video!

Unknown said...

Wehnerdog Creations has a lot of cute stuff on their website. I'm thinking about buying those blueberry earrings. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Glad I could spread the word about her cute earrings! :)