Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Friday, July 18, 2014

Insomnia

I am not really sure what constitutes as insomnia but some days I feel as though I may have insomniac tendencies in me. Lately I have been up way past my normal bedtime, typically eleven pm is when I will go to sleep. I got sick of laying in bed staring out into the darkness so I decided to turn on my computer. In retrospect that was probably not a wise decision. The first thing I did after watching several YouTube videos for the movie Frozen was to figure out a definition for the word insomnia. I love Google! Anything that pops into my head can instantly be searched and found out. It is truly amazing. So back to insomnia (A professor of American History once told me that Wikipedia is a reliable source for basic information and understanding. Ever since that class my junior year I have used Wikipedia as a jumping of spot so to speak in many researching endeavors.) the internet as given the basic definiton of insomnia to be this,Insomnia is trouble falling asleep or staying asleep through the night. Episodes may come and go (episodic), last up to 3 weeks (short-term), or be long-lasting (chronic). This simple search led my brain to start thinking about the origins of insomnia and why is it prevalent in a growing number of college students. (Sometimes I astound myself. I love doing research and finding out new things that just pop into my head. I can spend hours reading academic journal articles and case studies. When it comes to doing a research project for a class however I just cannot bring myself to sit down and just do it. I wonder why that it.) Brown University recently did a study on college students and found out that more than half of the subjects were not getting adequate sleep which led to poorer performance in class. Another interesting study I found while surfing the inter web followed students at a large southwester university. The group of researchers from this study took a different approach on sleeping patterns. What they found out was that 57% of the students studied had other pre-existing medical conditions that were linked to the insomniac tendencies of these college students. I think that information is interesting. Typically I just think of insomnia as a problem all on its own not one that might be linked to another. And now this gets me thinking about labels because to have insomnia in the first place one must put that label on their self or someone else. Are labels a bad thing? Are labels a good thing? I think that the answer is both yes and no. I am going to stop writing now because I've had to erase many of my thoughts typed out that just aren't making sense. Signing off until next time.

Captain Something Fun

p.s. If any of y'all have any research links on insomnia or other interestingly fun things share please.

No comments: