Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, July 23, 2015

New

Settling In

Wow! Much has changed for me in the matter of a week. I began moving my things into the little apartment a little over one week ago. It is very different living on my own, but I am slowly adjusting. I've lived in this town before but this is such a different setting. I still have boxes to unpack and things to find a place for, but I am enjoying figuring everything out. I have been shopping for home wares and everyone knows I enjoy shopping for a deal! I have found some bargains I need..and some I could have lived without but couldn't resist. Shopping at the local thrift store I found a set of tea/coffee cups with saucers. They were all so colorful and cute, I couldn't pass them up! I'm not sure what I will use them for when I am not hosting a tea party. Very practical, right!? But, they are adorable. Just look at them!
Coffee & tea party, anyone?
This past Sunday my beau was able to come over and enjoy the day with me. We fixed dinner on the grill and it was great! We fixed "baked" potatoes, corn and steak all on the grill and we also had some fresh green beans. We purchased our ribeye steaks from the BC Farm Store because we thought it would be neat to try their beef. They weren't cheap and we weren't totally impressed. They seemed really chewy for ribeyes and I'm not sure if that was a reflection on their beef, our preparation or what. All the sides were great though!


Peach Dump Cake

Speaking of fixing food, I had Miss Ellaneous over for a lovely visit on Monday night and I fixed a peach dump cake (which I have actually been calling peach cobbler) for us to enjoy. We thought it turned out really well, so I thought I'd share the recipe. The original recipe can be found here, but I made some revisions to it, so I will just include the revised edition on here.

Ingredients: 
  • 6-8 ripe peaches, sliced
  • 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 white cake mix
  • 1 cup sliced almonds (or other nuts)
  • 1/2 cut butter, melted
  • vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions: 

  • Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
  • In a large bowl, mix peaches, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon until well blended. Spread peach mixture in prepared baking dish. Mixture will be very wet. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly on top of the batter. (Do not prepare cake batter.)
  • If adding pecans, sprinkle them over the top of the dry cake mix. Pour melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. Bake 50 minutes. Let cool. Top with ice cream and caramel sauce as desired
Various stages of yum


Home

Yesterday I went back home to see a play with my mother and some neighbors she invited. It is The Stephen Foster Story and we have been to it multiple times, but it is a very beautiful production. I didn't want to rush off this morning, but I had to come back to mow my nearly knee-high backyard. My beau was able to help me with it this morning so I hurried back and we tackled it. It looks so much better, but I had to cut it on the highest length setting on the mower so it would cut it, so it'll probably need cut again next week.. It was a very slippery, difficult yard to cut, but I'm just glad to have this first cut behind me. I'll try to keep up with posts about life in the new city!

The Farmer's Daughter 

No comments: