Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Monday, July 28, 2014

Week of Mostly Foodie Firsts

No, these aren't as serious as a first kiss, fight, or concert but they were plum exciting to me.

1.) I had my first piece of baklava cheesecake! It was scrumptious. If you've ever had baklava, you know that it has a somewhat nutty and crunchy flavor. The nuts, honey, sugar, and cinnamon combination formed the crust of the cheesecake. Cheesecake filling was in the middle and phyllo dough with cinnamon and honey formed the top layer of the cheesecake. Plus, the piece was ginormous!! This one came from Gondolier Pizza in Glasgow, Kentucky.


2.) I roasted a turkey! Momma had a turkey from this past Thanksgiving that was given to her as a gift. She was afraid to cook it for fear of ruining it so I took the reins. It's a length-y procedure (nearly 5 hours) but after tasting it, it all became worth it. It was moist and had a wonderful flavor. But, I prefer the birds (over other meat options) so I may be slightly bias. I kept going back to nibble! Here are the directions that I semi-followed: How to Cook a Turkey. Sadly, I left my parents early the next morning and didn't get to enjoy any of the leftovers. It was soo good, I'll definitely be roasting one for the hubs and I soon. I also didn't get a picture. Apologies. I'll get one of my next one, promise!

3.) Ate dinner at Rose Pepper's & enjoyed dessert at Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.

At Rose Pepper's, I had a vegan burrito. Meat nor rice sounded very appealing to me. Plus, I wanted something light because I knew we were going for ice cream. Being the first intentionally vegan meal I've ever ordered, I was dubious about how flavorful and textured the meal would be. I was impressed! The burrito was filled with broccoli, cauliflower and several other vegetables.

The restaurant is mostly known for their drinks. Secondly, their decor. Apparently, they make spectacular margaritas. The lighting is made up of natural light from the windows, colored string lights, and small wall lighting. Thus, it has an exciting but intimate feel. If you're ever in East Nashville, I definitely recommend this spot.

Just across the street, at the corner of a small shopping center is where Jeni's is located. I chose to get a 2 scoop bowl with Sweet Cream Biscuits & Peach Jam and Brambleberry Crisp although I was very tempted by the oatmeal ice cream sandwich. It was phenomenal! Everything tasted so fresh and not too sweet, just right.

Jeni's has locations in several big cities across the nation but even more exciting they'll deliver it to your door! So, if you're ever craving some interesting flavors, I totally recommend trying some!

What have been some of your recent "foodie firsts"? I'm always anxious for inspiration!


Until next time,








No comments: