Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Friday, January 9, 2015

I HAVE A JOB!

Well friends, I am now going to be a substitute teacher.
As I've been looking for a job, a couple of people have suggested I try substitute teaching. My first reactions were: 1. I have very little experience with teaching & no experience with large groups of students in general and 2. My mother (who has been a teacher for 25+ years and a substitute before that), discouraged it because she knows how tricky students can be with a substitute and how little experience I have. But..I searched for a part time job in other fields for about 3 months. I had several requirements though, maybe I was too picky: I wanted a job that I would like, would fit with my school schedule and would be worth the drive (since I live in the boonies)..I was not hired anywhere.
In December my mother talked with a twenty-something acquaintance at her school who was substituting. This acquaintance had a bachelor's degree unrelated to teaching and no teaching experience. This encouraged my mother and she encouraged me to apply to be a substitute. So I finished my application by mid-December for A. County schools but I was only recently contacted because of the holidays. I've had my interview/meeting this week so now I just have a background check, physical, TB test, and several hours completing online trainings before I can begin in the classroom. It could take 3 weeks or more before this is all complete (mainly waiting on the background check) but I'm very excited that I finally have a part-time job in my near future.
When I had my meeting, they also helped me apply to be a paraeducator (what I understand to be a fancy word for a teacher's aid). This part-time position is with a full time teacher and I think it is mainly with the early childhood educators (which I find more exciting than other ages, as I'm sure Captain Something Fun would agree). The paraeducators are paid slightly less than a substitute but I think it would be helpful to start out doing this to get a little experience before I take on a full class by myself. I'm really looking forward to getting started and I hope to be able to work at least 2 (at most 3 days a week because of classes). It sounds like A. County is in desperate need of substitutes so I should be able to get as much work as I can handle. Until and once I begin I'll be eagerly accepting advice from my fellow Twenty-Somethings who have more experience with children/students than I do!
Also, a thanks to Miss Ellaneous for helping me out as a non-supervisor reference! I owe you! :)
I hope to keep you posted on this experience,
The Farmer's (and teacher's) Daughter

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm happy for you and anxious to see how you enjoy it. Your experience may give me the push I need to go to the doctor and get my physical haha

adkinsam said...

I haven't been on in a while, I am super excited that you are doing this!

Unknown said...

Thanks gals! :)