Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, January 22, 2015

School

It's the weekend! Sweet! I just decided that going grocery shopping on a whim is probably not the best move I could make. I came home with semi-useful items and then remembered more useful things once I got here. One thing about shopping at Krogers that I do love is the electronic coupons. I sat in the parking lot and loaded several to my card before I went in. These coupons allow me to buy some brands that I might otherwise avoid. Today they gave direction to my shopping. Possibly not the best idea. I think though that I'll have enough food for a while. It's just sort of random food. Tonight I plan to have French Toast and sausage because I need to use up some semi-stale bread.

I'm really starting to enjoy my tutoring time, and I think some of the kids like me as well. When I stopped by to talk to the third grade teacher, one of my girls who I only started working with yesterday told me that she wasn't going to let me leave because she wanted to stay with me forever. Sweet. I guess it'll be even sweeter if she says the same thing after I start making her write next week. The job started kind of slow and I felt a bit useless some days because I didn't have any groups. This was the first day though that I had three full hours of pull-out groups. This means I have to run back and forth finding these kids and returning them. I also don't have a permanent home so I'm holding my sessions in the library.

Sometimes these kids say the craziest things. Just yesterday, when I walked into the third grade classroom, this little girl looked at me and said that I look different every day. I didn't even think these kids noticed me since I hadn't really been doing anything with them yet.

Today I felt sort of bad for the sole boy in my fourth grade group. The girls had finished their spelling sheet from their teacher so I gave them markers and paper to write their words in all different colors. It's still amazing that such a simple activity brings them such great joy. The boy was still trying to meticulously copy down the run-on sentence on the paper. He is almost always the last one finished because he doesn't read or write very quickly. Everyday he asks me if we will have time to work on their drawings. I'm not sure he's finished one yet (the first day I let them make name tags for their folders and another day I asked them to draw a scene from the book we're reading.). He's still pretty cute though when he gets excited about answering questions.


No comments: