Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Netflix News

I'm liking this Netflix challenge from The Farmer's Daughter and Miss Ellaneous. Here's my list of things that I've watched recently.

1. The majority of my Netflix time is spent watching Gilmore Girls. Captain Something Fun got me hooked one night when she was watching Season One Episode One on her TV when we were roommates. I pretended to not watch by taking off my glasses (she didn't invite me to watch with her and I didn't want to get hooked to another show). Of course I have a problem with getting hooked to a show and spending all my free time trying to furiously watch all of the episodes. Well, CSF caught be watching the second episode a few days later and insisted that we watch all the episodes together. We did well on this promise for the first season but then Christmas break came and I graduated. Our show watching time together seemed limited and she's already seen all of the episodes and I have a much better attention span for sitting and watching shows/movies than she does. Long story short, we broke that pact and I've been furiously watching since. I'm now on Season Six. I was going to stop after Luke and Lorelai finally got together in the last episode of Season Four, but CSF told me I needed to finish. It's been up and down and I hope they will eventually get married. I've been waiting since Season One. Maybe you can tell I like this show a bit. It's a bit of a soap, but I enjoy the witty humor, the mother-daughter relationship, and the wacky characters such as Paris and Kirk. Get past the fact that it is almost entirely about drama within relationships and the characters never seem to use their head during a conflict and you might find that it's an enjoyable show. On the plus side, all seven seasons are on Netflix.

2.  Recently, in a hiatus from Gilmore Girls, I watched the movie  I Don't Know How She Does It. It's a fairly short comedy/thought-provoker about priorities. The main character is a workaholic mother and the plotline consists of her family break-down when she spends way too much time working. Of course it all comes through in the end and she figures out how to keep her job and make family her priority. Thankfully her boss values her enough to respect this wish. It's a bit predictable, but I think what drew me in was the hope for a happy ending. 

3. Back when Captain Something Fun and I had our pact to only watch Gilmore Girls together, I watched Switched at Birth alone. It has more drama and more characters who don't think during conflict, but it also has great family dynamics. What makes this show particularly enticing to me is the ASL connection. Since I was in middle school, I have been interested in sign language. It's a beautiful language full of expression and nuances. The show is centered around two very different families who discover 16 years too late that their daughters were switched in the hospital at birth. Daphne grows up a redhead in a Latina home and after a childhood sickness is hard of hearing. Bay grows up as a brunette in a rich family of strawberry blondes. The producers of this show do a brilliant job of making the families actually look like they share genes. After all the drama, I enjoy seeing the families make up and cooperate. Warning: Only seasons 1-3 are on Netflix. The show is currently in Season Four so you'll have to catch that on TV.

Other than that I've watched a couple of filler movies such as Princess Bride 2. I've been trying to limit my Netflix time so that I actually spend time reading as well. Of course, it's also slowed down now that I have jobs to attend to on a daily basis. 

Granny Eyre

PS. I'm looking forward to checking out a new show on Netflix called Death at Pemberly. It's based on a sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It could be complete junk or it could be Downton Abbey quality. I'll let you know.

No comments: