Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Day 12: Joy is ... a Choice

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

About 30 minutes ago I was reminded of a bit of scripture that I really started to understand. (50 points to whoever can guess where the scripture came from before the end of this post.) I was first introduced to this particular group of scripture a few months ago in the women's Bible study I attend with Granny Eyre once a week. Today it really hit home for me. Life is full of choices and I fully believe life is what you make it. And no one said it better than Miley Cyrus herself. So for you listening pleasure I am including a link to hear her tell you about it. Here You Go. Okay now to chase this rabbit back. If life is full of choices that means I am allowed to choose, right? So I can choose joy. This is new to me though. Since I was a child I've always felt like I don't get to choose anything. Choosing is for people who deserve it but not for me, no way no how could I ever deserve the freedom to choose, especially something like joy. Joy, I thought was for people who did no wrong, people who were worth something, people who had their lives together and not broken. But I was wrong. To finally tie this back to my original quote, which in case you are still wondering comes from Philippians 4:11-13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. This means I can choose and that includes joy. I am also to be content in all life's situations that I go through. In each situation because of Christ I can choose between joy and sadness (I am not saying that sadness isn't sometimes a good choice but this post is about joy.) Joy is for everyone no matter what, but it also a choice. So if you are feeling down and out choose joy because life is what you make it so let's make it right. I do realize though that is easier said than done. Joy is a choice and you and I are able to make that choice.

Today's picture comes from my journal, the first page with my notes that brought on the inspiration for this post.

Fun tidbit, this post took my a whole hour to write therefore it is now a new day day 13 to be exact. I will be making another post later on for that picture though.  I just hope this post makes some sort of sense and helps you see joy from my perspective. Goodnight. Captain Something Fun signing off.

No comments: