Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, May 5, 2016

My Greatest Need and Want

Today's blog challenge makes me think about the word "need" versus the word "want". This is something I have been conscious of for a while. Often I sit in my apartment at night and look around at all of the stuff that I as one human being own. How did I get to this point where I own so much? Has it always been that way? Humans seem to be kind of like fish in that we grow to fill the container in which we are placed. I sit in my apartment and wonder, "do I really need any of this stuff?" Our upcoming yard sale has me thinking about my stuff, but every time I look at something, I come up with a reason as to why I can't part with it. (Don't worry. I'll find some things to contribute to the sale.)

What is the line between need and want? I can easily say that we as humans need food, water, shelter, clothing, and love, but to what amount of excess do we need these? There are also those items that we don't need to survive but that we need to make our life better or easier, such as computers, phones, silverware, and books. That brings up the question of what quality of these items that fall in the middle ground between need and want should we purchase. If we could find a way to live without the item, do we purchase the most expensive/newest or choose a lower quality/older model that will serve the purpose? I don't have an answer to this, but it makes me think when I go shopping.

I'll end this debate that I can't complete, and just post a picture of the greatest need in my life. Jesus is my greatest need. I need him to guide me and give me strength each day. I need him because without him I wouldn't be able to have a relationship with God and I would be heading towards Hell. I also want him to be in my life because life is much sweeter with him in it.


Here's the full song where the picture came from. Sung by Matt Maher.

Cheers!



No comments: