Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Trying to be less wasteful

Here's the thing: over the past several months, I have noticed myself becoming more and more wasteful when it comes to food. It started with letting a bit of lettuce good bad and has gotten progressively worse. To the point where I have thrown away whole heads of lettuce and 5+ oranges and lots of leftovers. I'll admit, part of the problem stems from some of the less-than-stellar dishes I've made lately. Trying new recipes is great. But when they're a flop, it can be super wasteful. All of that mumbojumbo to say this

one of my goals for summer is to dispose of less foodwaste

That's where this snack comes in. A little over a week ago, I bought some organic apples at Kroger. I haven't been splurging on organic lately but the prices were a slightly better last week so I decided to go for it. I took one for lunch the next day and noticed an odd alkaline, chemically taste. Thought it was a fluke. Next day, new apple. Same problem, only worse. I couldn't stomach it. I had to throw the apple away. Fast forward to a week later and I still had five apples awaiting me in the fridge.

I felt guilty everytime I opened the refrigerator door. There they would be. Crying for help.

I couldn't shake it. I began frantically considering possibilities. Baked apples? Too healthy. Fried apples? Not healthy enough. Apple pie? Too much work. Apple oat crisp? Just right!

Tapped in to the knowledge of my friend, Google, and had a recipe in minutes. Now the apples are much happier (in my mind), they're cooked and fixing to be in my belly.


Yerm! A super delicious snack if I do say so myself.

Until tomorrow,


No comments: