Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Monday, June 2, 2014

On a Bicycle Built for Two

In my last post, I promised the story of the tandem bike. Here goes.
Captain something fun came back with me to Louisville after the camping trip. Our plan was to go to the zoo on Saturday, which we did. The zoo didn't take all day so we decided to check out the newly opened walking bridge to Ind
iana.


On the way we saw all of these cool multi person vehicles. We decided to check out the prices with very little hope of finding a decent price. The vehicles we originally saw were expensive to hire and they couldn't ride on the bridge. Then we saw a tandem bike which was only $12 for an hour. Deal! After some false starts and a few wobbles we were off.


We made it across and back with a bit of time to spare. Naturally we wanted to spend the entire hour riding since we paid for it. We should have turned right instead of left, because we ended up walking the bike back. We knew it had been making funny noises and causing us a few problems but we thought that was our lack of skills. When the chain broke though we discovered that it just might be something more than our skills. 
I am happy to say though that we made it back right on time and that they didn't charge us anything extra for breaking the chain. 
It was a good experience and it taught us more about each other and friendship. If you want to learn about trusting sometime ride on the backseat of a tandem bike with them. You can't see where you're going or control the direction. All you can do is peddle. It requires trust and teamwork, which are two things that friendship requires as well. 




By the way if anyone can tell me the rest of the song this post title comes from, I would appreciate that. I kept singing that one line but I can't remember any more of it. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to play the song for my grandmother, I don't really play the piano but somehow I pecked it out. She had the sheet music for her organ.
I think these are right:
Bicycle Built For Two

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet
Upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

Michael, Michael
Here is your answer true.
I'll not cycle
Over the world with you.
If you can afford a carriage,
There won't be any marriage.
'Cause I'll be damned,
If I'll be crammed
On a bicycle built for two!

Anonymous said...

Yes! That's it! No clue where I heard it but that's it.