Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Shenanigans with Miss Ellaneous

This week I have been on a sort of stay-cation, I haven't been working and have been home. My parents took a trip to Asheville, NC. and left me at home to take care of all the plants and animals. It's been an interesting and HOT week. I hadn't seen most of my college friends for a while, so Miss Ellaneous and I spent Tuesday and Wednesday together.

The loose calves. After coming back from swimming, Miss Ellaneous and I heard a cow bawling. If you know much about cows, you know they make a lot of noise when they're separated from their calves. I didn't think too much about it because I was hungry and wanting to fix dinner. After dinner though, it was still bawling so we had to go investigate. We hiked the hill to the barn and went through the field to see the mother cow facing down the hill. Across the fence we could see her calf. It had somehow managed to get through the fence and into the other field (away from it's mother and the rest of the herd). We spent at least an hour chasing the calf, attempting to send it through the open gate so mother and baby could be reunited. After lots of running up and down hills (Miss Ellaneous and myself were all exhausted and covered in sweat- the dogs were panting and looked very hot themselves). It was so hot and the air was so thick from humidity, it was no fun running after the calf. Finally, the calf, with me trying to herd it toward the open gate, ran into the woods. I went after it but didn't see any signs of it. I went a little ways into the woods, collecting several ticks and mosquito bites. It was getting dark, so we left the gate open in hopes that the calf may come out of the woods and find its way back to it's mother......The mother cow stopped bawling around midnight that night and the next morning we assumed the two must have been reunited. The next evening, we heard more bawling...This time, two calves had come through the fence and away from the herd. Calves can be so frustrating!

Crafting. Miss Ellaneous and I also had some craft time during her visit. I made some necklace pendents from corks (I've been itching to try making these!) I found the idea through Pinterest of course. You can find the link to the original craft idea here. I had the corks & paint already, and found the eye screws at Lowe's for $1.24 (for 10). I began doing just as they had instructed:

1. slicing the cork with a knife using a vice grip
2. using stamps and paint to decorate the cork
3. using the tiny screws to create a way to hang the cork on a necklace

The trouble I had was getting the stamps and paint to cooperate on the cork surface. I skipped the step of sanding the cork because I couldn't find any sand paper. Perhaps the smoother surface would make it easier for the paint to leave a clean mark. I asked Miss E. what she thought I should put on the cork and she suggested buttons. So, I put a new twist on the craft and hot-glued buttons onto the corks. I ended up painting one cork slice, leaving one just as it was, and putting buttons on the rest. I think they turned out pretty cute:
 A visual of the screws:

Miss Ellaneous and I had a fun visit! I hope to see her and the others again before too long!

Come read again soon!
The Farmer's Daughter

No comments: