Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Runnin

The other day I ran a mile. nbd, right? Running's not so bad. It only comes with a little gasping for air, some pounding in the head, aching in the lungs, neck, jaw, and other unexpected pain loci. OK so running hurts a lot, and my mile jog may have been my greatest accomplishment yet this summer.

Running didn't always used to be so painful. In high school and my early college days I ran a lot, and it felt good. I remember being out on the path and actually getting angry when my shoes had rubbed my blisters too much to keep going past my fifth mile. But things changed in college. I got "busy." I got lazy. When jogging and sports became harder, it reminded me of my failures, and this conundrum took over my attitude towards physical activity.

But I've officially named this summer "the summer of positive action," so a week or so ago I bravely got off my butt and discovered just how far I had let my idleness take me down the road of physical incompetence. I am out of shape. So I've started jogging a few times a week and walking nearly every day. My goals are small, but they're a step in the right direction. And these goals are just one part of my commitment to getting back in shape this summer; I'm also looking to strengthen my mental and emotional fitness.

No comments: