Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Saturday, June 21, 2014

They Call Me Mom

I didn't even plan to be at camp this summer but I know that I'm supposed to be here. Yes, there are times that I feel stressed and frustrated, but then I have a good conversation with one of the girls and realize that they need me and I need them.

A bit about what I'm doing. I am the director for the CIT (counselor-in-training) girls at a Christian camp in Tennessee. They pay a reduced rate to come here for a year or two summers in between being a camper and a junior counselor. Their job is to wash dishes, set up for meals, and clean places like the bathrooms and kitchen. It's not a glamorous job but it prepares them for the dedication to the camp they will have to have as counselors. They enjoy it for the most part.

My role is to be a mentor to them, give them tasks, and to lead their Bible study time. It's a bigger job than I might have imagined, because when we're not cleaning or preparing for meals, I spend time just hanging out with the girls or preparing for Bible studies. There's not much free time for me, but I'm loving it.

I'm learning a lot about myself through the journey. I can remember having many of the insecurities that these girls have and I can see now the way that God has used those insecurities to teach me about myself and important lessons. I know that God has placed me in this situation to help these girls through my experiences.

It's a big job and exhausting at times. My patience is stretched to the maximum but I wouldn't trade the time that I'm spending with these girls. It's full of laughs, hard work, and goofiness. Oh and some oatmeal smeared in my face.

They call me mom.

-Granny Eyre

No comments: