Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Monday, June 30, 2014

Maybe I Shouldn't Make Blog Posts At Night...Oh Well.

I feel like I should actually live up to my blogging pseudonym and write about a book this evening. My favorite author is C.S. Lewis and I am discovering that he wrote more fiction than the Narnia series. Currently I am reading Til We Have Faces which is a retelling of the myth about Cupid and Psyche. Well, I would be currently reading it if my brain would just sink into the story and stop thinking so critically about the words and phrases. I guess my brain misses English classes where I can discuss cool passages of the text with other scholars. Since I don't have any scholars with me currently who are reading this same book, I'm just going to share some of these thoughts with you. Don't worry you don't need to know anything about the book for these words to ring a bell in your heart and mind (hopefully) as well.

"Why should your heart not dance?...The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me, as if I could wander away, wander forever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end....Who can feel ugly when the heart meets delight?" -Til We Have Faces (C.S. Lewis)

Oh so many times in my life have I been filled with euphoria by a situation. I call those my perfect moments. It happens when I feel like I'm on top of the world and could do anything. I want to see all parts of the world because the world is beautiful. Nothing bad seems to be on the horizon. I feel beautiful and I just want to dance and sing and let the world know.

I made a list of my perfect moments on my blog, which you can visit here and here. (It's on two different posts.) I'll share a few of those right now to whet your appetite:
-the mountain of mashed potatoes with a candy cane garnish that my Papaw made
-seeing the joy on a little girl's face after she accepted Christ.
-surprising my mom for her 50th birthday
-having great conversations with my teen girls at camp
-laying in the parking lot after hiking the Pinnacles with two friends and looking at all of the stars.

The world is so beautiful and the people in it are beautiful, but sometimes my vision is hazed by the fog of disappointment or bad situations so that I can't see the beauty God places before me. In those moments my heart doesn't feel like dancing. In those moments I don't feel like there's anything more in the world worth taking the time to see. I want to hide in a hole and cry. I don't feel beautiful and I just want people to go away. But those aren't the moments I want to cherish. Those are the moments I want to lessen. I want to always feel the joy that God has given me because there really is so much in the world to cause joy. Yes, there is sadness but even in those moments, there is joy. Even at the funeral I attended today, there was some laughter in the remembering.

Sorry if this train of thought sort of writing bothers you. My thoughts are not very polished right now. I will end with a couple of poems that I wrote a while back which are a bit more polished. They relate to the idea of a heart singing and dancing.

Heartbreak

What do you do when your heart is broken?
You pick up the pieces and glue them back together.
Give wings to your heart and teach it how to fly again.
Play some music and let it sing and dance with freedom.

You pick up the pieces and glue them back together,
When the pain gets too hard to bear.
Play some music and let it sing and dance with freedom.
Just let it crumble a bit and start over

When the pain gets too hard to bear,
The carefully placed stitches pop loose,
Just let it crumble a bit and start over—
Picking up the pieces, flying, singing, and dancing.

The carefully placed stitches pop loose,
But one day you’ll find it doesn’t hurt so badly
Picking up the pieces, flying, singing, and dancing.
All that’s left are beautiful scars

But one day you’ll find it doesn’t hurt so badly.
You give wings to your heart and teach it how to fly again.
All that’s left are beautiful scars.
What you do when your heart is broken.

Heartsongs

What do you do when your heart is singing?
Play some music and let it sing with freedom.
La di da di do di do!
Then join in with a little dance.

Play some music and let it sing with freedom.
A simple melody or an elaborate concerto…
Then join in with a little dance.
Tip tap top ti top!

A simple melody or an elaborate concerto…
The foxtrot or a bit of hip hop…
Tip tap top ti top!
Just let it out and let the whole world know.

The foxtrot or a bit of hip hop…
The rule is to let the heart lead.
Just let it out and let the whole world know,
Because joy is contagious.

The rule is to let the heart lead.
La di da di do di do!
Because joy is contagious,
It’s what you do when your heart is singing.

No comments: