Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Graduation Blues

Having graduated almost a month ago now, I am gradually beginning to settle in to life as a post-grad. It isn't easy. Just five weeks ago, my life was consumed with due dates, a full schedule, two jobs, and a struggling social life. I never had to give myself a to do list. Everyone else was doing it for me.

Since May 4th, I have had to work at keeping myself feeling productive and being entertained. My handiest tool, the thing that has kept me most sane, is this little guy:



A simple (and cute!) notebook Miss Ellaneous gave me. In it I write down what I have accomplished that day. Projects I work on, the four Netflix movies I watched, stores I stopped at, and visits with friends and family are a few of the things I include. I also frequently jot down goals -- sometimes for the next day or the coming week. It is a place where I can reflect on what I've thought or done and later be reminded that I have done lots of things despite being unemployed and not currently going to school.

Unemployment: my main source of the blues. As I've researched and watched close friends struggle with the same issue, I've learned a few things:

1.) Trying to find a job directly related to what I want to do (which is occupational therapy by the way) is like trying to find the golden egg; there's a lot of eggs out there with some benefit (decent pay, ease of work, hours or location) but the golden egg has the most benefits (healthcare experience, part-time, working with children or seniors).  An article I found here says that around half of all college grads aren't able to find a job directly related to their major. HALF.

2.) If you're having trouble finding a job, you are not alone! There's at least one other person searching every classified ad and keeping Indeed, Monster, and Glassdoor tabs open in their browser to be refreshed every couple of hours---me. You'll find the right opportunity eventually.

3.) Lots of articles and books I've skimmed have told stories of people who thought they knew exactly what they wanted to do in the beginning but life offered them something completely different. They've had careers in several different fields that has led them to a job that they truly love.

4.) I'm a darn good housewife. I've had the time to cook. A LOT. I've also gotten to make cute gifts, read  newspapers and books, watch some TV, seek out deals, organize our new home and take better care of myself. But there is absolutely no way I could do it for the rest of my life.

So for now, I'll sit back, try to relax, fill out my handy dandy (and cute!) notebook and continue my search with a promise to myself that I won't let all the waiting and frustrations get me down.

Until next time,


No comments: