Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Friday, June 26, 2015

Go With The Flow

No pictures this post but I have so much to share.

The nerves began last Wednesday when I started toward the Extension Office to be trained for a week of writing camp. The list of things that were making me nervous seemed infinite: the kids...the little kids, my lack of Spanish, my lack of experience, how little I knew about the program. I held my head high as I entered the room in order to give myself enough confidence to remain in the room. I left that day feeling overwhelmed, excited, and tired. I hadn't signed up for much to do over the weekend because I didn't know what to do.

The week was intense and tiring but so rewarding. I arrived at the office at 7:45 each morning to help set up. The kids came on buses, ate breakfast, and then we meet them at 8:30 for morning theme time. After that it was run, run, run until lunch. Penny and I had three students all week. Our group was tiny, but it gave me a chance to really bond with the kids. The curriculum combined science and writing in a beautiful theme "Go with the Flow: Write Like a Pro". We were talking about water, its properties, and the way it moves and changes the world. Then we also talked about finding a flow of writing ideas and then cleaning up the flood mess. It was wonderful and well thought out.

Sometimes things were a bit hairy and stressful, but it all culminated with a beautifully wet and well-written day. The day started with each of the kids publishing a piece of writing. Then each of the kids illustrated their writing using watercolors. Finally we had some water Olympics, where the kids did four different experiments involving water. After a wonderful potluck lunch, we went back outside for the best obstacle course ever. There was so much water involved and interesting challenges.

It was a tiring week, but I'm glad to be working hard again. It was great to bond with some kids. It reminded me of camp.

It's Friday and I should be partying like it's 1999, but I'm tired.

Granny Eyre

No comments: