Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Life is a Vapor

Life is scary. Life is uncertain. But life is awesome!

This past Sunday I went to church with my beau. We have been going to church together for about a year I guess, alternating. My church one week, his church the next week, and so on. It's different doing things this way, but neither one of us have felt the conviction to convert, so we're still doing it this way. But that's a different blog post subject entirely.

The sermon last Sunday was about how life is vapor and I have been thinking about it off and on all week. There were multiple lessons within his message, one being that life is short. With each year of getting older, time seems to pass more and more quickly. I have noticed this in my life...take this for example: it has been 5 years since each of the Twenty-Somethings have graduated from high school. Wow! As he mentioned on Sunday, our time to leave this Earth could come at any moment. And although we can't (and shouldn't) walk around thinking about when our time will come, we should keep it in mind so that we don't waste our life/time on things that don't matter. His second point tied in nicely with his first: when we think about eternity, our life here really is a vapor! It's merely a splash in the ocean. Really think about that for a second.

It particularly hit hard when a colleague of my Mom's found out her father has invasive lung cancer. It has spread throughout his body, including to his brain. He only found out a week or two ago and now he may only have days to live. I can't fathom the of idea of this happening to me or someone I love. It breaks my heart for their family. It seems I know of several people who have died recently or found out recently that they have cancer. That awful C word. I don't mean to be a downer, but this has been weighing on my mind today. This is just one way our lives are unexpected and scary. But...there is hope!

Back to the sermon...the pastor talked about how we must live life as if there is no tomorrow, because tomorrow isn't guaranteed. I am challenging you to live so that you treasure each moment. I am challenging you to be productive in each aspect of your life. I am challenging myself to be kinder, more thankful, more prayerful and more patient. Remember that today is a gift and we must live knowing that this life is short and eternity is long. We must make the most of our time here on Earth and suffer, love, laugh, share, and look forward to the awesome joy that is to come in the next life.

Those are my deep thoughts this week..what are yours?
The Farmer's Daughter 

That my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever! 
(Psalm 30:12)

No comments: