Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Fun Tidbits

Just a couple random updates with photos...
Substitute Teaching
      First of all, don't get too excited about me switching my pursuit of a career, but being a teacher isn't too bad. I have really grown in my understanding of how to discipline and keep kids in line much more effectively than when I first started. (But I could really only go up from where I started...because I had no experience!) But I feel much more comfortable in front of a classroom and I have learned enough about kids to give me better judgement about handling various situations. I have especially become used to working with special needs children which is perfect, since Occupational Therapists usually work with this group of children (especially in the school system). Over the past couple of weeks I have gotten to be an unofficial OT, by using sensory boxes with children and even going into the OT's office in one of the schools and letting an autistic youngster jump in the ball pit to rid him of some excess energy. 
      Also, last Friday (the day before the Kentucky Derby), was a big day at the school where I substituted. First of all, it was a field trip day. One thing I have learned about substitute teaching is, you never really know what you are getting into. I wasn't aware there would be a field trip I would be going on, until I got to the school and one of the regular teachers informed me! It was DARE graduation day and the students were going to the high school for the "graduation" then going to the park for a cookout celebration afterwards. The speaker, Retro Bill, was entertaining while also educating them about bullying, drugs, and other subjects. The park was also fairly nice. I was working as a teacher's aide that day, so I basically just had to follow one special needs child around and make sure he was safe and he didn't get in a fight with any of the other children. I even got a free lunch that day--a freshly grilled hamburger, chips and cookies...it was nice! When we got back from the park the children at the school had their own Derby. Kids from each grade raced around a track-like driveway in the back of the school with horses made from pool noodles. It was pretty cute. The kids could also wear decorated Derby hats. I thought this boy had a particularly cool hat. He said his mom cut out the horse from cardboard and then decorated it. I thought it was a really cool hat, so I snapped a picture of it. 


Poppy
  It was also a very exciting weekend at my house because, my niece, this adorable little ball of energy was here to visit. Unfortunately she was feeling ill throughout the visit, but most of the time she still had so much energy and happiness that you couldn't tell she wasn't feeling well. We took her down to Gwyn's and we all rode (the beau, me, Gwyn and Poppy) out through the woods and down to his pond where Poppy got to feed the fish. It was a nice adventure and I think Poppy had a good time.

Catching up with "Nofa" when she first got to the house. She really likes "Nofa"
Graduation
     Sunday was also an awesome day because I got to see the last of the Twenty-Somethings graduate from Berea College. I was very excited for her and I wish her the very best in life after Berea! I am glad that we should all be in and around Madison County next year so we can have more fun together. Also, Naomi Judd was a very good graduation speaker. She was funny, wise and had a short and sweet message for the graduates.

You probably can't tell, but Naomi Judd is on stage in this picture
A picture of my dinner after Amanda's
graduation, 
because it was really tasty.
It's a burrito with pineapple, chicken, onions
& mushrooms with rice & beans! 
That's all for now Folks,
The Farmer's Daughter

No comments: