Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Monday, October 12, 2015

Baking Adventures

This weekend I discovered that The Great British Bake Off is now on Netflix! Of course when the show started airing in the United States it became known as the The Great British Baking Show. Not as cool of a name but a great show nonetheless. I became attached to this show when I was couchsurfing in England. One of my hosts watched the show the first night I was there. As soon as I returned to the US, I was pleased to find it online. Now I am ecstatic to find the first season on Netflix. Hopefully more will be added in the future.

Watching this show inspired Heather and I to make a cake at 9 pm on Friday evening. We are the greatest of homebodies: watching cooking shows and baking on a Friday night. Since I was dogsitting, it was an adventure in the kitchen to find everything we needed without having to go to the store. We were successful in finding everything except cinnamon; we substituted cinnamon sugar. Here are the results:


Since the verse on YouVersion that day was Psalm 34:8, we found it fitting to make a picture. 

Once I'm in the baking mood, I must continue. This month I am also trying to slow down my grocery spending and learn to use what I have instead. This is inspired by the 31 Days of Living Well and Spending Zero Challenge, but I have modified it to fit my lifestyle. Maybe a future post on that adventure. Because of that challenge, I didn't want to buy anything for my baking except milk, bread, and eggs. Thankfully, I already have flour and sugar and the other basics on hand.

My latest baking started with this recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for chocolate chip cookies. Naturally, I couldn't just make boring chocolate chip cookies. During the mixing process, I threw in some cocoa (I just emptied what I had left) and used Toll House chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips. I guess I created double chocolate chip cookies. Then I decided I wanted to make s'more cookies. I started melting butter and marshmallows just like I would for a rice krispie treat. My plan was to put marshmallow and graham cracker on the top of the cookies. Maybe it was a lack of recipe or maybe I was trying to do too many things at once, but it didn't work. The marshmallow was hardening in the pan faster than I could get it on the cookies. 



Well that's all for my baking adventures thus far. Next I want to try making bread again. I'm still on the search to find the perfect bread recipe.

For now,
Granny Eyre

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice! I've been in a baking mood too. With pumpkin!! What kind of bread do you like? I have a very easy no knead bread recipe. Not really for sandwiches but good sliced with soup or as toast