Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Tidbits for Twenty Somethings

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Recipes Anyone?

It's squash & zucchini season, y'all! What have you been doing with the veggies that you've gotten? At home, Mom usually breads the squash and fries them in a cast iron skillet or slices, marinates, and grills them. I have only tried a couple other ways myself, one being the zucchini noodles with marinara sauce for a delicious alternative to spaghetti noodles. I have also made squash/zucchini bread which is usually scrumptious! I don't think I've ever had one of these recipes that I didn't like. But, I know there are MANY more ways to fix them, so please share your recipes too!

Yesterday I decided to use one of my squash in a zucchini bread. I found this recipe on yummly and I liked it because it combined bananas, zucchini and chocolate chips all in one! The fat and sugar in the recipe didn't seem too excessive either, compared to some recipes I found, so I went for it. I replaced the zucchini for yellow squash, the canola oil for coconut oil, and I sprinkled chocolate chips on top! Here's my version of the recipe:

Ingredients: 

  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup coconut oil (Alt: canola, vegetable) 
  • 1/2 cup sugar (granulated) 
  • 2 cups zucchini/ yellow squash (grated)
  • 4 ripe, mashed bananas 
  • 1 T vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
  • 1 T ground cinnamon 
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl beat eggs. Add oil, sugars, and vanilla and beat 1 minute more. Add mashed banana and grated zucchini and beat again until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. 
  3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. Stir flour mixture into wet batter until well combined.
  5. Stir in about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
  6. Divide batter evenly between two load plans. Use remaining chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of batter. 
  7. Bake 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the center. 
  8. Cool about 10 minutes before transferring out of pan and on to cooling rack.
  9. Enjoy! It's perfect warm, with some milk! 
I also recently found this recipe for Zucchini Fritters. It sounds tasty. 
Share some of your recipes with me too? 

The Farmer's Daughter

No comments: